June 8, 2011
In attendance: Kathleen Barton, Fr. Steve Kanonik, Mark Baranek, Nancy Battaglia, Christopher Bielfeldt, Una Durkan, John Gallagher, Denise Jaegar, Denise Javers, Jamie Kumiega , Mike MacGregor, Sue McInerney, Tim Neenan, Pat O’Flaherty, Jeffrey Rogers, John Ryder, Don Sondermann and Mary Sugrue.
Meeting called to order at 7:10
1. Greetings and Introductions.
2. Opening Prayer.
3. May Meeting Minutes Approved
4. Introduce new School Board Members
5. Retiring School Board Members
6. Principal’s Report
*No Formal Report to allow time to discus School Board Survey
*Enrollment for 2011-12 continues to increase
7. Fr. Steve’s Report
*Update of planned summer school improvement projects.
8. Catholic Education and Formation Meeting Update
*Mark, Pat and Mary attended meeting to represent the School Board. Meeting aimed to give different parish ministries information to better collaborate on parish issues. Follow up meeting planned for next school year.
9. Review of School Board Survey
1. Academic Programs:
Language Arts: Overall, pleased but want more writing, beginning w/paragraphs.
Math: Overall, very positive. Parent would like curriculum to be better aligned to the requirements of local high schools.
Science: Overall, very happy with new lab; however, it seems more use of the lab wanted as well as some change requested in Jr. High.
Spec. Ed.: Overall, smaller groups and more resources requested.
Music: Overall, the parents want a teacher with a specialized degree in music/theater/fine arts.
2. Parent/Admin. Communication: Overall, very happy with websites; however, room for improvement in email responses.
3. Parent /Teacher communication: Overall, great—would like to see grade port/blogs updated more frequently.
4. Spiritual Development: Overall very satisfied.
5. Extracurricular: Overall, interest in expanded programs, e.g., intramural, A and B teams, review of good sportsmanship, etc. Share comments with the Athletic Board, coaches and athletic director.
6. SJS meeting the social, academic and spiritual needs: Overall, contentment, more attention needed for bullying, treating each other kindly.
10. Committee Reports
*No Report-will review projects and fiscal report for year ending 6/30/2011.
* Black Top Ball Update, ticket sales similar to 2010.
*Working on a timeline to purchase and install new technology purchases from Fund-A-Cause.
*Welcome for New Families August 18, 2011 at 7:00. Una will send out information in early August.
*Plan to send out survey in early Fall to school families and parishioners to get feedback for Parish Tradesman Registry.
*2011-2012 School Board Officer Election.
Candidates nominated by school board peer and seconded by another board member.
Chairman: John Gallagher
Vice-Chairman: Una Durkan
Corresponding Secretary: Mary Sugrue
Recording Secretary: Sue McInerney
11. Coffee Tea and Thee
* No Coffee Tea and Thee scheduled for summer and will resume after break.
12. New Items/Miscellaneous
* Save the Date: Strengthening Catholic School Saturday September 24, 2011 Keynote –Panel of Catholic University Presidents.
Meeting adjourned at 9:05.
Next Meeting Tuesday September 6, 2011. 7PM