In tandem with the celebration of our 85 years as a faith community this year, we are scanning and uploading random bulletins from the past 75 years. Although our parish was founded in 1927, its first official bulletin wasn't published until September of 1937. The bulletin was then known as "The Falconerian - Monthly Parochial Magazine of St. Juliana Church." Sadly, it appears that the very first issue was removed from the archive at some point along the way and never returned, thus our collection begins with the second issue, published in October of 1937.
In those days it was a true cut-and-paste production, edited by a witty parish secretary. On the inside, not much has truly changed, as that early issue delivered news about the opening of school, a parish fundraiser (Fall Festival,) and prayer appeals for the sick and recently deceased. Familiar features still today.
We've also located a limited selection of graduation class composite photos, which we're scanning to our Facebook gallery, as well as storing full-size versions here.
Bea Dapper has lived in Edison Park and been a member of our parish since its inception. She's 92 years old today and has many wonderful memories of growing up on Oleander Avenue, attending St. Juliana School and receiving misdialed phone calls intended for the parish = her number is one digit away from ours!
After months of preparation and planning the 85th Anniversary Benefit Gala was a smashing success! A great time was had by the nearly 560 attendees at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center on Saturday night. With an estimated $150,000 in overall revenue, the 85th Anniversary tally is still being compiled but early indicators point to raising nearly $100,000 for the parish and school with a whopping $40,000 raised during the "Classroom of the Future" Fund-a-Cause!
This October marks the 50th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council, popularly known as Vatican II.
Vatican II was actually the twenty-first Ecumenical Council of our Roman Catholic Church, and it opened on October 11, 1962 under Pope John XXII. It convened for more than three years, closing on December 8, 1965, under Pope Paul VI. Our current Pope, Benedict XVI, and our previous Pope, John Paul II, were both participants as cardinals in the opening session fifty years ago.