We frequently receive requests from various groups to use the Ahearn Activity Center, Parish Center or school hall for gatherings. Some organizations are parish-sponsored, such as Scouts, Mothers’ Club and SJS sports teams (Trojans.) Other gatherings may involve parishioners or school families but are not strictly organized as parish groups, and might include receptions, fundraising events, or athletic practices/games for park district, public or other league teams. The requirements for using our facilities vary, depending on whether it is defined as a sponsored or non-sponsored event.
To view the reservations that have already been booked you can consult the Facilities calendar. Please note that this calendar displays the time frame for which the space has been reserved and not necessarily the meeting/event times. Please check the Events calendar for meeting information.
To be considered a parish-sponsored organization, a group must meet both of the following two legal tests:
- The pastor has the authority to start, direct, control, manage, expand or eliminate the activities of the organization.
- The pastor has the authority to sign checks on the organization’s checking account and receives the monthly statements.
If a group does not pass both of those two basic tests, it is not a parish-sponsored organization.
- Facility Usage for Sponsored Events
- Parish-sponsored groups may use our facilities, depending on availability, and the event is automatically provided with liability insurance coverage through our policy. Alcoholic beverages may not be sold, served, or made available at events at which minor children are present. Violation of this policy will result in denial of future requests to use parish facilities. Groups are expected to leave the premises broom-clean, with tables/chairs restored to their original arrangement. There are complete facility usage guidelines available from the parish office. Sponsored groups that do not observe the guidelines may have future requests for facility usage denied or be required to post a security deposit against clean-up costs.
- Facility Usage for Non-Sponsored Events
- In order to use a parish facility, non-sponsored groups must provide proof of Commercial General Liability insurance coverage, or purchase single-event coverage through our broker, Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. A non-sponsored group must apply for coverage by completing a Special Events Packet at least two weeks in advance of an event in a parish facility. Based on information provided in the Special Events Packet, Gallagher & Co. will issue or deny coverage and bill the event organizer accordingly. Non-sponsored groups that wish to serve liquor must also purchase a Dram Shop rider from Gallagher, and obtain the appropriate license(s) from the State of Illinois/City of Chicago. The Special Events Packet is available at the parish office. Liquor license information must be obtained from the city/state. The parish may require a security deposit against clean-up costs. Complete facility usage guidelines are available from the parish office.