Questions, questions, we get questions! Here are the ones we hear most frequently. Please let us know if the information you're seeking isn't included here.
- How do I register my child(ren for school?
- You can begin preliminary registration by
, phone (773.631.2256 x10) or in person by visiting the school. When school is in session, walk-in office hours are from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM. During the summer, walk-in hours are on Wednesdays from 9:00 AM until 12:00 PM.
- What are your preschool policies?
- We offer two programs for students who will be three or four years old before September 1 of the school year. Three-year-olds must be fully potty-trained.
- What are the school office hours?
- The school office is open from 9:00 AM until 3:00 on regular school days, or by appointment via phone (773.631.2256) or
. Summer walk-in hours are Wednesdays in June and August (until school opens) from 9:00 AM until 12:00 noon. Voice and email messages are picked up on regular basis except during the month of July, when the office is closed.
- Who can wear khaki uniform pants to school?
- Only junior high boys and girls may wear khaki pants purchased through our uniform supplier, Lands' End. Standard policy is to be followed for shirts (light blue for boys; white for girls.)
- What type of sweatshirt/sweater can my child wear in the classroom?
- Children are welcome to wear any type of cold-weather clothing to school, but once they're in the classroom only the navy uniform swearshirts and fleece wear sold by Lands' End may be worn. Both the sweatshirts and fleece items (zippered jacket and vest, half-zippered pullover) feature the SJS logo. The grey SJS athletic sweatshirts are not acceptable uniform attire.
- What is our Lands' End (uniform supplier) preferred school code?
- Can my child carry a cell phone in school?
- Yes, however, the phone must be turned off during the school day and stored in a backpack, book bag or locker, not in the student's desk where it cannot be seen or heard during school hours. The use of cell phones, pagers, and other electronic devices, such as iPods, Game Boys, etc., is prohibited during school hours and will result in suspension. Parents should continue to call the school for any emergency situation. We will contact your son/daughter. Please do not contact them by cell phone, text message or pager during the school day.
- Is there before- and after-school care available?
- Yes, we offer both through our on-site Extended Care Program for students in kindergarten and older, and a Preschool Extended Day option for three- and four-year-olds attending our morning preschool sessions. Either program may be used on a regular or as-needed basis.
- What do the children do for lunch?
- The lunch periods are split between 15 minutes in the school hall for eating lunch and 15 minutes outside for recess, weather permitting. During inclement weather or on days when the parking lot is not available for recess the children eat lunch in their classrooms.
- What is the FSP hot lunch program?
- Food Service Professionals (FSP) is a not-for-profit agency sponsored by the Archdiocese of Chicago, that provides hot, nutritious meals for schools and other facilities. SJS participates in their hot lunch program, which is entirely optional for all students. Menus and meal plans are provided one month in advance and orders are placed and paid for on a monthly basis. Students may order as few as one meal during a month, or opt for a hot lunch every school day. Milk service is not included in the FSP meal.
- What is Mothers' Club Hot Lunch?
- The SJS Mothers' Club sponsors pizza, hot dog, or McDonald's lunches for the kids on one Friday of each month. Participation is optional and selections are made and paid in advance at the beginning of the school year for the entire year. Watch for a flyer to come home in your youngest student's backpack early in the school year. Refunds are not provided for absentees.
- Can I just order milk for lunch? How do I pay?
- Milk is optional and is ordered and paid for in advance for the entire school year. Dean's 2% white and chocolate milk are offered through Mori Milk company, and the cost is subsidized by the state of Illinois. This way you are assured your child will always have milk at lunchtime, regardless of his or her participation in the FSP or Mothers' Club hot lunch programs. Occasionally there are extra milks available for purchase on a daily basis for .25 but please do not count on this as availability depends on how many children are absent on a given day. As consideration is given to absences when calculating the annual cost of milk per student, milk refunds are not issued for absentees.
- When does my child have library?
- Mrs. Heidi Jimenez, our school librarian, keeps the library schedule current on her web log, along with a lot of other great information about the library.
- Can I pay tuition via credit card?
- Yes, we can accept credit/debit cards and electronic checks. Families are encouraged to use our online payment interface, www.givecentral.org, to manage their tuition payments. One-time and recurring payments may be paid from checking, savings and credit card accounts. Church donations may also be managed through the www.givecentral.org interface. You are welcome to pay your tuition in advance at any time however we are not able to offer a discount for doing so.
- What do the children wear for gym?
- SJS does not require special gym shirts or shorts. Girls should wear shorts under their skirts or jumpers (please be sure the shorts do not hang lower than the skirt hem) and remove their skirt/jumper for the duration of gym class. Alternatively, girls may wear their uniform shorts (in season) or slacks to school on gym day. Boys remain in their polo shirts and uniform pants for gym class. Gym shoes with non-marking soles are required for gym class. Students may bring their gym shoes to school each gym day, however they may also leave them at school so they will always have them for class.